Expanding State and Territorial Test to Treat Locations
The Biden-Harris Administration recently launched the
Test to Treat program aimed at increasing access to lifesaving treatments that must be given quickly to be effective. Under the new program, participating pharmacy-based clinics receive oral antiviral pills directly from the HHS Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response (ASPR).
Participating locations provide access for people to get tested – and if they test positive and are eligible for treatment – receive a prescription from an on-site or affiliated health care provider, and have their prescription filled – all at one convenient location. A new Test to Treat online locator tool was launched the week of March 21 to help people find participating locations in their area.
The Test to Treat program builds upon the existing distribution of COVID-19 oral antivirals. COVID-19 oral antivirals have already been made available at no cost to thousands of locations across all states and territories and more than 200 HRSA-funded community health centers nationwide.
HHS-ASPR is interested in expanding Test and Treat to include additional locations that are identified by state and territorial partners.
States and territories are encouraged to identify sites within their jurisdiction that meet the Test to Treat site requirements and then
reach out to their
ASPR Regional Emergency Coordinator
to receive additional information and guidance.
States and territories are encouraged to get all the latest information on COVID-19 therapeutics by joining the weekly HHS-ASPR Stakeholder Calls that take place every Wednesday at 2:00 PM ET. Email
COVID19Therapeutics@hhs.gov to be added to the distribution list and receive the dial-in information.
Site Selection Criteria and Considerations
HHS-ASPR is interested in expanding Test to Treat to as many locations as possible and will consider sites that meet the following criteria:
- Sites must be able to provide comprehensive end-to-end test and treat services to support a seamless patient experience
- COVID-19 testing on-site (or evaluation of at-home testing)
- Linkage to a clinical evaluation by licensed health care provider after positive result to provide prescription when appropriate
- Co-located or affiliated pharmacy able to readily dispense medication to eligible patients
- Provide services to all individuals, regardless of insurance status
- Accept new patients for priority same-day or next-day visit for COVID-19 services